It’s already six months since you gave your financial support and we would like to provide you with this summarised update of the ways that the funds are being invested. A full report will be given at Big Camp 2020, along with the concrete results that will have been realised by that time.
Based on the key strategies of ‘Proclaiming the Gospel’, ‘Serving Humanity’ and ‘Making Disciples’ the 2019 Appeal funds are being invested as follows:
- Eight church plants, that’s one more than expected, (Caves Beach, Newcastle University, South West Rocks, Stuart’s
Point, The Entrance, The Well (Kempsey), Thornton and Bellingen), are receiving financial support—according to their
stage and needs. These ‘seed funds’ are being received with much excitement by the leaders and members and are
being used to establish the church plants as soul-winning hubs in their newly-entered communities.
- After a review of the current evangelism budgets offered to all churches it was decided to invest in a number of regional
PROPHETICA evangelistic events—in the Newcastle and Tablelands Regions, and possibly other locations. Due to the
heavy booking schedules of large venues, the PROPHETICA’s will occur in early and mid 2020 but will use 2019 Appeal
funding. See www.PROPHETICA.com for more information—specific site details will be added later this year.
- The NewStart Juice Bar on the main street of Raymond Terrace is now open. See you soon for a smoothie!
- Manna Haven Café in Byron Bay can now take their ministry to the street this summer.
- The SoZo Eatery in the Atune Medical Centre in Newcastle is at the commercial kitchen design and interior decoration
planning stages, preparing for a July 2020 opening.
- Due to a number of unforeseeable circumstances, the establishment of a discipleship training school in the south of
the conference has been temporarily postponed. As such, a number of donors to the 2019 Big Camp Appeal have been
asked for their suggestions for the responsible and transparent reallocation of these funds. A final decision is being
made and will be reported at Big Camp 2020.
- 2019 Appeal funds are being used to establish a range of NNSW health ministries under the brand name SoZo Health.
SoZo is a Greek word meaning: to save; to heal; wholistic health (physical, mental and spiritual). This is a large, long-term
project, but excellent progress is being made in the establishment of:
- SoZo Kitchen: a hands-on, plant-based chef training school.
- SoZo Education: supporting local church health outreach programs.
- SoZo Eatery: a plant-based eatery inside a large medical centre.
- SoZo Health Retreats: providing ‘pop-up’ localised health retreats across the conference.
- A SoZo Medical Missionary Training Program for certified health professionals was run in August 2019 and 27 Adventist
health practitioners received training on how to use their God-given skills in a health retreat setting. Trainings in
November ’19 and February ’20 are already fully booked!
- An amazingly successful, pilot SoZo Health Retreat for community members popped up at Stuart’s Point in August, and
another is scheduled for November, plus three more in 2020! See www.SoZoHealth.com.au for details.